This single small photograph of Ireland at St Luke’s has huge significance, given the close (and in some cases lifelong) associations of the composer with the people captured in it. This is the seventh in a series of short blogs uncovering the personalities behind the faces.
The young man seen seated front far left is the Reverend Capel C. Peacey, who worked at St Luke’s for some years before moving to Suffolk.
Peacey played an important role at St Luke’s. He headed the annual choir outing to Littlehampton in 2008, and at one point was in charge of bible classes for ‘young men’, a group that met at the Scout Headquarters in Britten Street (just across the gardens from the church as shown right) every Sunday at 3.15. Peacey was a significant member of the St Luke’s Mission, for which building he raised funds for a new organ. This was completed in 1911 by a local organ builder, Henry Spain Jones, of 70 Park Walk, Chelsea. Peacey was a senior member of the clergy, and as such an occasional preacher for services as seen in the Easter Week listings for 1921.
Source: St Luke’s parish magazines